Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Confessions of Saint Augustine

By Saint Augustine

Catholic-ometer: 5 of 5




Enjoyability: 5 of 5




Yeah.  Big surprise here.  I had a feeling this would be my kind of book, even before I started reading it, although in fairness, I expected that the autobiographical nature of the text would really turn me off.  It certainly didn't, although I still preferred the theology sections of the book.

This is a book written, originally, by Augustine before he became one of the greatest saints, thinkers and philosophers of all time.  In it, he tells the story of how his sinful life led him to the heresy of the manicheans, and how, through careful thinking and intellectual honesty, he was eventually led back to the Catholic Church, and to a life of devotion and holiness.  It's a beautiful, true story.

Then, in about the last third of the book, he starts talking theology, and this is where Augustine really gets to show the depth of his intelligence.  I was thrilled by this.  I'm a big theology fan, and I loved hearing him talk about the workings of the mind, the memory, time, eternity, etc...  It's fantastic, because it encourages one to think on a much deeper level than we're accustomed to at this day in age, and yet, it all makes perfect sense.

There are Christian masterpieces that tell you only about the lives of poor sinners, striving to reach God, and other masterpieces, which tell you primarily deep truths about God himself, and his state of being and creation.  The first can be more instructive, in terms of leading us home, while the latter is, arguably, more delightful, since it pertains to the very creator and source of all delight.  I won't say which is better to read, but this book has both, so there's no need to.

Augustine's story is inspiring and encouraging, and his theology is rock solid and brilliant.  It's heady, intellectual stuff, though, so while I consider it one of the best books I've read in a while, and very difficult to misunderstand, I also can't really say it's for beginners.  It might be better to start with something a bit lighter, if you're not a theology buff.  My personal suggestion would be to start with "Rome Sweet Home," and some basic ancient philosophy, like Socrates or Plato, then move on to this when you've got all that down.

No comments:

Post a Comment