Saturday, February 25, 2012

Victory Over Vice

by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Catholic-ometer: 4.5 of 5




Enjoyability: 4.5 of 5




I'm a tremendous fan of Bishop Sheen's work, and I love the way he spoke and wrote.  I knew I was going to like this book from the get-go.  However, to be perfectly honest, out of all the books by Fulton J. Sheen that I've read, this is probably the weakest.  By no means, however, does that make it bad.

He outlines, in this book, the various vices of Catholic tradition, and how each corresponds to the different "words from the cross;" an interesting subject of discussion, a good talking-point, and a subject on which to reflect.  However, to be honest, I actually thought that his words on the subject of each vice had more to do with the words from the cross than they did with the vices, and I've already seen him treat of that subject (better, I think) in "the Life of Christ."

That's not enough for a star down, exactly, or even a half-star down, but I needed to take points off somewhere, because I found Bishop Sheen overgeneralizing on some of the topics he brings up in this book.  For example, he says in his chapter on Gluttony, "reason demands that food and drink be taken for the necessities and conveniences of nature."  This, I think, is much too broad a statement, and it can simply be misinterpreted much too easily.

I think Bishop Sheen assumes that if you're picking up this book, then that means you're already well-formed in your conscience, and are looking for a little bit of encouragement, but it's certainly possible for people to misinterpret and misunderstand what's said herein.  In fact, I could probably write a whole book myself on how to correct such misinterpretations.

Still, for the most part, the book accomplishes its objective; not outlining specific theological truths or ethical doctrines, but drawing our attention back to our own sins and imperfections, to give us the chance to correct them.  I personally prefer to dwell on the virtues, rather than the sins, but I can understand how some people would have an easier time focusing on their sins than on their virtues.

On the whole, I enjoyed this book, and was pleased with many of its insights, and many of its quotable sayings.  For example "one thief was saved.  Let no one despair.  One theif was lost.  Let no one presume."

I reccomend this book to the audience that Sheen probably intended; those who are already fairly strong in their faith, and just need a little push to remind them of how far they still have to go to achieve perfect holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment