Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Seven Last Words

By Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Catholic-ometer: 4.5 of 5




Enjoyability: 4 of 5





I guess I sort of knew what I was getting when I picked this up, because as with "victory over vice" and "the life of Christ," I've seen other books by Bishop Sheen that cover this topic, and do it well.  However, although the words in this book/booklet may offer a few things to think about on the subject, it's nothing I haven't seen before.

I suppose I could comment on how I take some issue with the phrase "co-redemptrix," which Bishop Sheen uses in reference to Mary.  That's not a true doctrine of the church, and was eventually discarded by Pope Benedict, who said that it departed too far from the traditional language of the church, and gave rise to misunderstandings, and I agree with him.  Still, it's a minor point by comparison to my central reason for not really feeling like this book is needed.

I just don't see what this book has to offer that previous books haven't offered.  Bishop Sheen's wisdom is wonderful, of course, but he's written so much; so many other books, covering the same topics, that you can really make do without this one.

Is it a good book overall?  Sure.  Is it a better way to spend your time than watching some Hollywood trash?  You betcha.  Is it important or needed in any way?  Not as far as I can see.  If you've read "the life of Christ," you've basically read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment