Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Shooting Star (Tintin)

By Georges Prosper Remi (Hergé)

Catholic-ometer: 3.5 of 5




Enjoyability: 4.5 of 5




This was another of the Tintin books that I most enjoyed when I was younger, and for the same reasons I enjoy it now.  I liked the Phosilite, I liked the exploding mushrooms, the quick-growing apple tree, and the giant bugs.  It's curious and exciting, even if it makes very little sense.

Also, like all Tintin books, and especially the ones which contain human opponents, as this one does, I really enjoyed it, and thought it stayed true to the successful Tintin formula, while giving us the fun of an expedition to locate a newly-discovered mineral.

The premise is that a meteor crashes to Earth, and soon, an expedition is underway to discover it, and recover the odd, newly-discovered mineral, which it's made out of.  However, another ship, funded by a successful bank, is also looking for the meteor, and is ready to do whatever it takes to reach it first.

In the end, I suppose I didn't really enjoy this one as much as some of the other Tintin books, because there's not a whole lot of action on one end, and most of the book doesn't take place at the meteor on the other end.  I still enjoy it, and for largely the same reasons as when I was young; just not as much as some of Tintin's other adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment